Darien encompasses 12.9 square miles within its boundaries, with many miles of shoreline on Long Island Sound. Originally settled in 1641 as part of Stamford, the area we know as Darien became Middlesex Parish in 1737. In 1820, residents petitioned the state legislature to establish Darien as a separate town.
In the early years, Darien’s businesses were primarily located at Ring’s End Landing on Goodwives River and Loading Rock on Five Mile River. Today, several convenient shopping areas include Goodwives Shopping Plaza, stores along the Post, Tokeneke, and Heights Roads, plus Noroton Heights Shopping Center.
Darien is a community recognized for its excellent schools, active churches representing seven denominations, social clubs, civic organizations and a variety of philanthropic activities. There are three country clubs – Wee Burn and Woodway Country Club, both with attractive beach Clubs on Long Island Sound, and the Country Club of Darien. In addition, Tokeneke Beach Club, Noroton Yacht Club, Middlesex Swim Club, and Ox Ridge Hunt Club are also located in Darien.