Darien encompasses 12.9 square miles within its boundaries, with many miles of shoreline on Long Island Sound. Originally settled in 1641 as part of Stamford, the area we know as Darien became Middlesex Parish in 1737. In 1820, residents petitioned the state legislature to establish Darien as a separate town.
Located alongside Long Island Sound and pituresque Five Mile River, Darien boasts small-town waterfront living in Fairfield County. A direct commute to Manhattan and easy access to surrounding communities make Darien an attractive place to live and popular place to do business.
Several convenient shopping areas include Goodwives Shopping Plaza, stores along the Post Road, Heights Road, Noroton Heights Shopping Center and opening in 2022, Darien Commons located in Noroton Heights. The Corbin District and Grove Street Plaza, located downtown includes upscale residences and locally owned retail stores.
Darien is a community recognized for its top rated schools, public beaches, parks, shopping, dining, active churches representing seven denominations, social clubs, civic organizations and a variety of philanthropic activities. There are three private country clubs – Wee Burn Country Club, Woodway Country Club, and the Country Club of Darien. In addition, Tokeneke Beach Club, Noroton Yacht Club, Middlesex Swim Club, Piedmont Club, Ox Ridge Riding & Raquel Club and Highland Farm (formally Ox Ridge Hunt Club) are also located in Darien.
Town attributes that create a distinct sense of community include:
- Altitude: 0-250 feet above sea level
- Education: Early Learning Program (ELP), Tokeneke, Ox Ridge, Royle, Holmes, Hindley elementary schools , Middlesex Middle School, Darien High School, Fitch Academy, and Darien Summer School.
- Two train stations, Darien and Noroton Heights
- Off exits 10-13 on I-95 and exits 36 & 37 off the Merritt Parkway
- Local Media/Newspapers: Darien Times, The Darienite, Darien Lifestyle Magazine, Darien Neighbors Magazine, Moffly Media: New Canaan Darien & Rowayton Magazine, Now We’re Talking Darien (podcast), DAF Media, The Darien Patch and Hamlet Hub
- Darien TV Channel 79 is the Town’s government and community television station. It is available on Cablevision and online via Vimeo.
- Community Websites: Darien Chamber Community Calendar
- Two Post Offices: Darien, Corbin Drive and Noroton Heights, Heights Road
- Cherry Lawn Park hosts a dog park, public tennis courts, community garden and playground.
- More parks: Selleck Woods, Woodland Park, Baker Park, Frate, McGuane Parks and more. Gorham Pond (hosts ice skating and pick up ice hockey fun in the winter).
- Weed Beach & Pear Tree Point Beach: Both public beaches offer many amenities, including paddle, tennis, playground, concessions and picnic areas.
- Fourth of July Fireworks
- Three 100% volunteer Fire Departments (Noroton, Noroton Heights and Darien Fire Department)
- Darien EMS-Post 53, emergency medical services using Darien High School students and adult volunteers.
- Farmer’s Market: Wednesdays, May through October 11am-4pm, at Goodwives Shopping Center.
- 3 Assisted Living facilities.
- Darien Senior Center, located below town hall.
- The Royle at Darien, a 55 and over residential community.
- Health Facilities: Three hospitals in neighboring communities:
- Darien Library, a state-of-the-art and eco-friendly Library — Rated “Best Library in Connecticut”.
- Darien Little League Baseball & Challenger. Challenger is a program that enables developmentally and physically-challenged youth to enjoy the full benefits of Little League participation.
- Many Darien youth sports leagues
- Darien Parks & Rec offering family-friendly and fun events and activities within Darien parks.
- Darien Ice Rink & Indoor Tennis Facility
- Boy Scouts
- Darien YMCA offers summer camps, state of the art gym, pre-school, swimming, gymnastics program and more.
- The Depot Youth Center, teen youth center offering youth led events, programs and activities.
- The Darien Youth Commission.
- The Darien Nature Center, offers pre-school, trails and nature focused activities, located in Cherry Lawn Park.
- The Mather Homestead, a National Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Museum of Darien (formally known as the Historical Society)
- And more….